Tuesday, July 31, 2018

#2,671: Zucchini Meatballs (GF)

Stop right now and run out to your garden (or the neighbor's garden) or the grocery store and go get some zucchini.  I'll be honest, I had low expectations for these "zucchini meatballs" but I actually ate EVERY. SINGLE. ONE. of them and even kept eating them when I was full because there were only 2 left and I didn't want them to go to waste (I could have saved them for the next morning I suppose.  I loved these so much, I'm actually debating if I should make them again now so I can eat them tomorrow.

These were so good I didn't even eat it on a plate.  See that cutting board I took the picture on....that worked for me! 

Here's the trick though...get as much liquid out as you can!  I was sure these were going to be too wet in the middle, and I tried one half way through and was pretty sure that was going to be the case, but when they were done cooking they were wonderful!  


2 tsp. oil
1-1/2 lb. zucchini (about 3), shredded
1-1/4 cups dry Italian-style bread crumbs (I used plain GF breadcrumbs and then just added some Italian seasoning)
3 Tbsp. Grated Parmesan Cheese
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 egg, beaten
1/3 cup tightly packed fresh basil leaves, chopped, divided
1 jar (24 oz.) Traditional Pasta Sauce for dipping

Heat oven to 400°F.

Heat oil in large skillet on medium heat. Add zucchini; cook 5 min. or until tender, stirring occasionally. Drain in colander. Use back of spoon to press zucchini into colander to remove as much liquid as possible. Cool zucchini 5 min.

Place zucchini in large bowl. Add bread crumbs, cheese, garlic, egg and 1/4 cup basil; mix well. Shape into 18 "meatballs," using about 2 Tbsp. zucchini mixture for each ball. Place on rimmed baking sheet sprayed with cooking spray.

Bake 15 min. Flip over and bake another 10-15 minutes.  

Top with pasta sauce or just use it like a dipping sauce like I did.  

No comments:

Post a Comment