Friday, July 6, 2018

#2,734: Impromptu Crawfish Boil



We are at the lake for the 4th of July and the kids (and some adults) like to go fishing.  My husband joked that he caught a crawfish...I saw it as a way to try a new recipe and to try cooking something I've never cooked before.  I'll admit, I was super scared...what if I made everyone sick; how was I going to put live animals into boiling water!?  But I went ahead and tried it anyway.  I was thrilled that my husband even tried a small piece of it!  Those that tried it said it tasted like lobster (or mushy chicken).  Those that didn't get to try it (we only caught 5) wanted to try it, so we sent a adult and the kids down to the pier to try and catch 16 more (one for everyone).  Wouldn't you know, we caught exactly 16?! 

After much googling, I learned that you have to get the crawfish to purge their intestines.  We either didn't do it right, or long enough, but thanks to watching a lot of cooking shows I was able to pull out the gross poop line after we cooked it.  Blech!  

I used this boil recipe to flavor the water, but then left the fish in the water for a lot longer (5 minutes did not seem long enough to me). 

2 quarts water
1 medium white onion, peeled and quartered
1 lemon, quartered
1 bay leaf
2 large garlic cloves, peeled and halved
1 tablespoon kosher salt

In a pot of water add the onion, lemon, bay  leaf, garlic and salt.  Bring to a boil. 

Add the crawfish to the water, and return to a boil.
Turn off the heat and cover the pot.  Let the crawfish remain in the covered water for 30 minutes. 

Then you will have to search google or youtube how to get the meat out of it!  



No comments:

Post a Comment