Thursday, March 20, 2014

TBT: #169: Mexican Stuffed Shells

I originally posted this recipe in January of 2011.  This was so good and I was shocked that everyone in my family loved it.  It is weird to think though that when I originally posted this recipe our family only had 2 of our 3 kids.  :(  It seems like such a long time ago....that may have been the last time we ate this meal too (one downfall for always trying to make new recipes.  This may need to get on our menu next month!)

Hopefully you enjoy this recipe as much as we do/did. 

 
My two favorite ethnic food groups are Italian and Mexican...this was a perfect combination of both!  Brian and I BOTH enjoyed this one.  He took the remaining ones for lunch tomorrow, and had my lunch not already been packed, I might have fought him for them.  : )  I topped mine with some sour cream...yummy!

12 -18 large pasta shells, cooked (I got 15 in our pan)
1 lb ground beef  (I used 3/4 lb ground turkey)
3 tablespoons taco seasoning
3 tbsp fat free refried beans
1/2 cup water
1 onion, chopped
1 1/2 cups salsa, divided (I used picante sauce)
1 cup grated Mexican Blend cheese, divided
24 oz tomato sauce (I used 16 oz)

chili powder, to taste
green onion, for garnish  (I omitted)

Brown ground beef and drain.  Add seasoning, water, onion, refried beans, 1/2 cup of salsa and 1/4 cup cheese.  Mix together remaining salsa, tomato sauce, and chili powder. Spread a thin layer of sauce on the bottom of a 9 x 12 baking pan. (I used a 9 in pie pan)  Fill each shell with the ground beef mixture and place in pan. Pour remaining sauce on top. (I did not pour any on top).  Sprinkle on the rest of the cheese (I used 1/4 c) on top and garnish with green onion. Cover and freeze at this point.

Defrost overnight and bake at 350°F for 30 minutes. (OR Cook from frozen for 2 hours at 300°F).

My version turned out to be 2 ww+ pts each.

No comments:

Post a Comment