Sunday, March 16, 2014

#1,202: Braised Cabbage

This recipe is actually called "World's Best Braised Green Cabbage."  Before today I didn't know what braised cabbage was so I can't actually attest to the fact that this truly is the world's best or not.  But I can tell you this...I wasn't a big fan.  :(  It was good but I didn't think it was great and I keep thinking about the huge bowl I have in my fridge that I have to eat up.  :/  It might take me a while.  If you LOVE cooked cabbage you might love this one too.  But this cooked for 2 hours and if I'm going to spend that much time cooking cabbage, I'm going to choose Garlic Rubbed Cabbage Steaks instead. 

Here's the recipe for you braised cabbage lovers though...

PS: As soon as you see the word "bone broth" in the ingredient list you will know that this is a paleo recipe.  LOL


2 tablespoons melted lard, ghee, or bacon grease for coating the baking dish
1 medium head green cabbage (about 2 pounds)
1 large red or yellow onion, peeled and thickly sliced
2 large carrots, peeled and cut in 1/4-inch coins (I omitted)
1/4 cup bone broth or water
1/4 cup melted lard, ghee, or bacon grease
Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
Aleppo pepper (optional)
Aged balsamic vinegar
 
Preheat oven to 325°F with the rack in the middle. Coat a 13-by-9-inch baking dish with the melted fat.  Lop off the tough stem end of the cabbage and divide it into 6-8 wedges. Keep the core attached so the wedges stay intact after the long cooking time. Don’t worry: The tough core will get super tender, too.

Place the cabbage pieces in a single layer in the greased dish — a little overlap is okay. Toss on the onions and carrots and drizzle with broth and the melted fat. Season well with salt, pepper and Aleppo pepper (if using). Cover tightly with foil and place in the oven.  Cook the cabbage undisturbed for 1 hour. Crack open the foil cover and carefully flip the wedges over. Reseal the dish tightly and braise for another hour or until fork-tender. 

At this point, you can remove the cabbage to cool and store in the fridge until you’re ready to eat it (up to 4 days). When you’re ready to serve, crank the oven up to 425 F and bake until browned (about 15 minutes). Drizzle with aged balsamic vinegar and serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment