Sunday, March 9, 2014

#1,188: Homemade Marinara Dipping Sauce


(sorry, I know this isn't the best photo, but I was in a rush to get it taken before I forgot!)

I was making some homemade breadsticks so that meant I had to make some homemade dipping sauce to go with it.  When I googled recipes and realized it was just a combo of tomato sauce and paste + seasoning, I figured it would be simple enough to make my own recipe...and it was.  I personally thought it was really good.  My kids and husband seemed to enjoy it as well.  So simple!  But if you've been following this blog for any time, you will notice I don't measure as I cook so I have no idea how much of each ingredient I used.  So I listed how many shakes of each container I did.  :)  Hope that helps!!

This makes about 3 cups.

2 cans (15 oz each) tomato sauce

2 cans (6 oz each) tomato paste
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 onion diced very fine
1 tbsp olive oil
crushed red pepper, to taste (I used about 4 shakes)
dried oregano (I used about 10 shakes of it)
salt and pepper, to taste

garlic powder, (2 shakes)
pinch of sugar

Sautee the onions in olive oil over low-medium heat for about 6 minutes or until softened and just beginning to brown. Add remaining ingredients and simmer until it starts to boil and is heated through.  I used an immersion blender to puree the onions because my family doesn't like them but I don't think you necessarily need to. 

No comments:

Post a Comment