Monday, March 31, 2014

#1,223: Crockpot Pulled Chicken

I was so excited to make this pulled chicken recipe even though it called for chicken thighs and generally I avoid anything except boneless, skinless chicken breasts.  But I figured I should give it a try and see how it turns out.  Although my family really enjoyed these sandwiches (even the girls) it does not have nearly enough sauce!  We had to add quite a bit of BBQ sauce to make this more flavorful.  If I make this again I am going to double the amount of sauce it cooks in.  It needed it for sure!  We have a ton of leftovers so I will be using it tomorrow in a different recipe....stay tuned. ;)

2 onions, thinly sliced (I omitted)                              

1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts
3/4 pound boneless, skinless chicken thighs                
1 cup ketchup
2 tablespoons cider vinegar                
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard                
2 tablespoons molasses
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon Tabasco
1/2 teaspoon salt                
Whole-wheat hamburger buns, optional                
              
Scatter onions on bottom of slow cooker. Arrange chicken on top of onions.  In a bowl, combine ketchup, vinegar, mustard, molasses, onion powder, cumin, garlic powder, Tabasco and salt. Pour over chicken. Cover and cook on low until chicken is fork-tender and sauce has thickened, about 5 hours. Remove chicken from slow cooker and shred meat. Stir back into sauce. Serve hot, on whole-wheat buns, if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment