Saturday, March 15, 2014

#1,200: Crockpot Meatballs (for Subs)


I totally bypassed the pre-cooking method of this recipe and threw my meatballs into the crockpot uncooked and frozen.  No need to dirty extra dishes and pans if it can cook all day in the crockpot.  Big shout out to my hubby who helped make these and to get me out of the kitchen quicker on a Sunday night.  Honestly, I don't know if I will ever make meatballs in the oven again.  Okay, I probably will because I like the semi-crunchy texture baking meatballs gives them.  But this was THE EASIEST recipe and I have 1 less pan I have to clean (because I use crockpot liners!). And Allison requested this meal again on our dinner menu for next week. 

1 lb lean ground beef
1/2 cup dry breadcrumbs
2 tablespoons finely chopped onions or 1/4-1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1 egg
1 tablespoon parmesan cheese, grated
1 (32 ounce) jars spaghetti sauce
6 -8 hot dog buns
mozzarella cheese (sliced or shredded)

Place first seven ingredients in large bowl. Mix thoroughly with your hands just until combined. Shape into approximately 30 1-inch balls.

Here's what I did next: Place on a wax paper lined cookie sheet and freeze.  When ready to cook place FROZEN meatballs into the crockpot along with the spaghetti sauce.  Cook on low for 6-8 hours (mine cooked for 9+ hours).  Place meatballs and sauce in sub rolls, top with mozzarella and bake for about 5-10 minutes or until cheese is melted and bread is toasted.

If you are looking to make these right away, or want the original recipe directions they are as follows: 
Bake in an ungreased oblong pan (13x9x2) in a 400°F oven until light brown, 20-25 minutes. OR: microwave meatballs in an ungreased baking dish, 6 minutes on High, turning once. OR: cook over medium heat in frying pan, turning occasionally, until brown, about 20 minutes.
Place cooked meatballs and spaghetti sauce in crock pot. Cook on low for about 2 hours. If you cook longer, stir every hour or so.  Place meatballs and sauce in hot dog buns or sub rolls and top with mozzarella cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment