Sunday, March 2, 2014

#1,187: Easy Slow Cook Korean Beef

I had 2 1/2 lbs of ground turkey in the fridge and nothing in mind for dinner, so when I stumbled across this recipe I knew it would be perfect for us for dinner.  Yes, I know that the recipe title says "Korean beef," but I use ground beef and ground turkey interchangeably, so it's pretty much the same thing to me.  If you prefer beef, definitely use it instead.  I however, am partial to ground turkey.  :)
Here is what I love about this recipe...it cooks quickly in the crockpot and you don't have to pre-cook the meat ahead of time!  That's right, just dump it in the crockpot, break up the pieces with a spoon and you are pretty much ready to eat.  So simple.

Now with that said, this recipe got very mixed reviews in our house and I was not surprised that my husband did not enjoy it.  I however loved it, but would have loved it more with some crispy Chinese noodles on top!  Matthew (2) wouldn't try it at all, Chloe (4 1/2) only ate it when I told her she had to, but Allison (7) enjoyed it a lot. 

The recipe says to serve the beef over some rice, but I knew I had a better chance of my family eating this if I mixed it together...so I did.  Since I got mixed reviews I will not make this again for my family, but I just might make it again for my lunches!!


1 lb extra lean ground beef (I used lean ground turkey)
1/4 c brown sugar
1/4 c soy sauce (I used coconut aminos)
1 tbsp. sesame oil
1 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp ground red pepper
1 tsp minced ginger (I used ground ginger and just about 2 shakes of it)
1 tbsp. tomato paste
sliced green onion for garnish


Add uncooked beef to slow cooker and break it up into small chunks with a spoon.
In a small bowl, stir together the brown sugar, soy sauce, sesame oil, garlic powder, red pepper, ginger and tomato paste.  Stir into the slow cooker and really coat the beef.  Cover and cook on LOW for about 3-4 hours.

Stir again, breaking up chunks.  Serve beef and sauce over rice and garnish with green onion.

No comments:

Post a Comment