Sunday, March 23, 2014

#1,209: Beef and Sausage Foldovers


 
Oh my goodness, doesn't that look delicious?  Guess what?  It is!  And my family LOVED these.  Like we loved them so much we might make them again next week.  Since I had to make "dough" I thought these were going to be a lot of work, but they really weren't.  It was so easy to throw these together and we got 6 decent size foldovers with this (one per adult, but could split one between two of the kids). 


1/2 lb lean ground beef
1/2 lb bulk spicy Italian pork sausage
(I used 1/4 lb organic pork sausage) 

1 package (1 oz) Old El Paso® taco seasoning mix
1 can (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes with green chiles, undrained (I used pureed salsa instead)
4 1/2 cups Original Bisquick® mix
1 cup boiling water (I needed about ¼- ½ cup extra)
1 cup shredded Mexican cheese blend (4 oz) (I needed about 1 ½ cups)

Toppings:
3/4 cup sour cream
3/4 cup Old El Paso® Thick ‘n Chunky salsa
Fresh cilantro sprigs, if desired

 Heat oven to 400°F. Grease large cookie sheet with shortening or cooking spray.   In 10-inch skillet, cook beef and sausage over medium-high heat 5 to 7 minutes, stirring occasionally, until thoroughly cooked; drain. Stir in taco seasoning mix and tomatoes. Reduce heat to medium; cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Meanwhile, in large bowl, stir Bisquick mix and boiling water with fork until dough forms. (I did not need the extra Bisquick to roll out as suggested in the next step). On surface sprinkled with Bisquick mix, roll dough in Bisquick mix to coat; knead 20 times. Divide dough into 6 balls, about 1/2 cup each. Roll or pat each ball into 7-inch round.  (I found rolling the dough made for much prettier foldovers)

Spoon about 1/2 cup beef mixture onto half of each round.  Sprinkle with shredded cheese.  Moisten edge of round with water. Fold round over beef mixture; press edge with fork to seal. Cut 3 small slits in top of each crust to allow steam to escape (I poked with a fork about 4 times). Carefully move to cookie sheet.

Bake 20 to 22 minutes or until light golden brown. Serve each foldover with 2 tablespoons each sour cream and salsa. Garnish with cilantro.

2 comments: