Thursday, March 20, 2014

#1,207: Tuna Salad with Artichoke Hearts and White Beans

I love when I rip a recipe out of a magazine to make later, and then realize I have all of the ingredients on hand to make it right away.  Those are the best recipes!  With tomorrow being a Friday in Lent, I was looking for a tuna recipe when I stumbled upon this recipe in my recent issue of Cooking Club.  If you do not subscribe to this magazine you really should consider doing so.  I pull out SO many recipes to save/bookmark each time.  This time, I pulled out a ton of recipes that will be on my Easter menu (if my family will let me host!). 

The recipe below was supposed to be eaten as a salad, but I really love tuna on bread, so I ate mine on gluten free bread instead.  AND since I love tuna with pickle relish and peas, I added that to the recipe.  The picture at right is the original recipe except with butter beans used instead of cannellini. And I used a lot more tuna to bean/artichoke ratio.  The tuna salad was very good and I definitely enjoyed it as is, but then you can see from the photo below that I added pickle relish and peas.  Now it was even better!!  I seriously had to stop myself from eating more than one sandwich because I was enjoying it so much. 
 

3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 (15- to 19-oz.) can cannellini beans, drained, rinsed (I used 3/4 of a can)
1 (14-oz.) can quartered artichoke hearts, drained (I used about 3 artichoke hearts)
1 (5-oz.) can solid white tuna in water, drained (I used a 12 oz can)
1 cup chopped unpeeled seedless cucumber (I omitted but will add in next time)
1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh oregano
4 large leaves Boston lettuce  (I omitted)
1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved (I omitted)

 Whisk vinegar and oil in large bowl; toss with beans, artichokes, tuna, cucumber, onion and oregano.

 I skipped this step and ate on bread instead: Arrange lettuce on platter. Top with bean mixture; garnish with tomatoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment