Sunday, March 2, 2014

#1,184: Minted Fresh Fruit Salad

I made this HUGE fruit salad for the kids' birthday party this weekend.  This makes a huge amount, so if you are cooking for a crowd this is the perfect recipe.   I wasn't totally in love with the dressing and combo of the orange and lemon juice.  I think next time I'm going to add in the lemon juice a little at a time until it makes the dressing slightly tart but not too sour.  Also, in an interest of prepping as much ahead of time, I placed the dressing ingredients into my blender so the mint got very finely chopped.  I was okay with that, but it didn't make it as pretty as it could have been if the pieces were larger.  I'd still do it again that way next time though. 

1 medium cantaloupe, peeled, seeded and cubed
1 lb fresh strawberries, halved (I quartered mine)
1 fresh pineapple, peeled and cubed
2 large granny smith apples, cubed
2 c seedless grapes
1/2 c dried cranberries
3/4 c orange juice
1/3 c lemon juice
2 tbsp. minced fresh mint
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 c flaked coconut, optional

In a large bowl, combine the first six ingredients. In a small bowl, whisk orange juice, lemon juice, mint and cinnamon. Drizzle over fruit; toss lightly to coat. If desired, top with coconut before serving. Yield: 24 servings (3/4 cup each). 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment