Friday, March 28, 2014

#1,218: Crock Pot (No Boil) Stuffed Shells


This recipe was originally for manicotti but I had medium sized shells instead so I just substituted them out.  I've served my family cottage cheese before (unknowing to them) and I almost used ricotta this time, but at the last minute decided to take my chance with cottage cheese.  Then I served it to them and I could easily tell by the texture it was cottage cheese and assumed my husband would definitely not eat this. 

My family loved
this, especially my husband.  I think he ate about 10 stuffed shells (they weren't that big).  I was extremely surprised when he went back for seconds.  Now, with that said, I did not love these.  The taste was ok but the texture from the crockpot made these pretty gummy.  I don't think I will be making these again, at least not in the crockpot. 

Filling Ingredients
2 cups cottage cheese
1 ½ cups mozzarella cheese
1 ½ teaspoons Italian Seasoning
¼ teaspoons salt
¼ teaspoon pepper
I also added some minced garlic
 
Remaining Ingredients:
1-8oz. package manicotti (I used a box of medium shells--it made about 22 shells)
½ cup mozzarella cheese
¼ cup Parmesan cheese
Jar of favorite marinara sauce
 
Combine filling ingredients and place in a gallon size freezer bag. Clip a small corner, about 1/2", of the bag so you can easily fill the manicotti shells. Spray crock pot with non-stick spray or line with a crockpot liner for easier clean up!
 
Spread about 1/2 cup sauce in crock pot.  Pipe the filling into the uncooked shells and place in crock pot.  Add about 1/2 cup of water to the remaining spaghetti sauce to thin out the sauce just a little bit.  Pour over the shells so it covers them completely.  (I had to add a little more water to make sure there was enough liquid to cook these in).   Top with the remaining shredded cheese.
 
Cover and cook on high for about 2-3 hours until shells are fork tender. 

No comments:

Post a Comment