Sunday, March 23, 2014

#1,212: Smoky Pulled Pork Tacos with Cherry-Peach Salsa


I'll admit, the cherry-peach salsa was what called my attention to this recipe. :)  Although it isn't peach or cherry season, so I used frozen cherries (which I already had on hand since I love them in smoothies) and the softest peach I could find. I also could only find a 6 lb roast, so I cut it in half and will be eating it next week for dinner one night in a different recipe (stay tuned!).  Anyway, back to THIS recipe. 

As you can see from the photo above I ate mine as a taco SALAD, but the rest of my family did eat this in a taco shell (but without the salsa).  I really enjoyed this "salad" and loved the salsa on it.  It gave it a great flavor and was juicy enough to be sort of a "dressing" too.  Allison decided she liked hers better as a "bowl" with rice, the pork and some cheese. My kids LOVED this dinner.  LOVED it.  They were fighting over the potential leftovers for lunch tomorrow.  Brian thought it was just ok which sort of surprised me.  But kids overrule dad in the yum-factor so I will be making these again some day. 

For the pork:
4-5lb pork butt (may be called pork shoulder)
salt and pepper
1 large sweet onion
4 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce + 2 Tablespoons sauce
1/2 cup BBQ sauce
2 Tablespoons brown sugar
20oz Dr. Pepper
Fajita-sized flour quesadillas

For the Cherry-Peach Salsa:
1 cup chopped sweet cherries
1 cup chopped peaches (about 1 large peach)
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
1 jalapeno, minced
salt
juice of 1 lime

Cut onion into quarters then separate layers into the bottom of a 5 quart (minimum size) crock pot. Trim pork butt of excess fat then cut into 4-6 large pieces and season well with salt and pepper. Lay seasoned pork on top of onions then add chipotle peppers, adobo sauce, BBQ sauce, brown sugar, and Dr. Pepper. Cover and cook on low for 8 hours or until pork is tender enough to easily shred with a fork.

Remove pork pieces from the crock pot and shred, then place into a bowl and set aside. (I didn't do this next step.  I just added about 3/4 cup of the juice/sauce to the pork to keep it moist but not too watery).  Strain juices through a double layer of cheesecloth and add back to shredded pork. Serve with Cherry-Peach Salsa in flour tortillas.
For the Cherry-Peach Salsa: Combine all ingredients in a bowl and mix well. Make up to two days in advance.

No comments:

Post a Comment