Sunday, March 9, 2014

#1,191: BLT Chopped Salad with Homemade Creamy Buttermilk Ranch Dressing

I may have gone a little overboard with the dressing on this salad.  You think?!?!  This recipe makes a ton of dressing, so you can have it to eat for a week every night at dinner if you so desire.  I think I need to find a co-worker to take the leftovers tomorrow.  (Whomever reads this first let me know if you want it!) :) 


Although I definitely liked this salad a lot, it wasn't anything super special that I haven't made before.  Would I make this again?  Yes.  Is this going to become my go-to favorite salad recipe? No.  I did really enjoy the homemade ranch though!

Salad
1/2 cup cooked, diced bacon
about 3 to 4 cups salad greens
1 small/medium ripe tomato, sliced into thin rounds
half of 1 cucumber, about 10 thinly sliced rounds
1/4 cup thinly sliced carrots
1/4 cup frozen peas, thawed
1/4 cup corn (I used canned)
I also added some shredded Parmesan cheese and croutons 
Buttermilk Ranch Dressing
1/2 heaping cup mayonnaise
1/2 heaping cup sour cream
1/4 cup buttermilk + extra if necessary to thin
2 tablespoons minced fresh flat-leaf (Italian) parsley
1 to 2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 to 2 tablespoons olive oil
1 to 2 tablespoon minced fresh green onion, scallions, or chives
1 small garlic clove, peeled, optional and to taste
1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper, or to taste
Salad 
Cook bacon according to manufacturer's instructions. Dice small; set aside.
In a large bowl, add the greens, top with tomato, cucumber, carrots, peas, corn, and sprinkle bacon pieces over the top; set aside.  (Add cheese and croutons if desired)


Buttermilk Ranch Dressing - To the canister of a food processor or blender, add all ingredients and blend until smooth and creamy, about 30 seconds. Taste dressing and if necessary, adjust flavor balance by adding more lemon, oil, herbs, salt and pepper, or whatever dressing needs, to taste. I like my dressing thicker and didn't use more than 1/4 cup buttermilk, but add more, to taste, to thin it out. Brands of mayo, sour cream, and buttermilk all vary in their thickness. Transfer dressing to a glass jar with lid, or airtight container with a lid.
Drizzle over salad and toss to combine. Serve immediately. Extra dressing will keep for 7 to 10 days airtight in the fridge; shake well before next use.

No comments:

Post a Comment