Saturday, March 15, 2014

#1,198: Not Your Momma's Meatloaf


I have had this recipe on my Pinterest Board for a very long time.  I keep thinking I've made it and then realize I didn't.  So when I had some extra ground turkey waiting to be used, I figured it was about time I made this recipe.  I also made this in my crockpot so it could cook all day while we were at work.  Turns out just as good as it does when I make it in the oven (in my opinion) EXCEPT the texture is softer/more tender/mushier (let's be honest). 

Brian really liked this recipe, but it was a little too soft of a texture for my liking.  I think it was because of the bread pieces instead of bread crumbs.  I might try it again with breadcrumbs.  I ended up eating this on a ciabatta roll as a meatloaf sandwich.  That was good!  The kids thought this was okay but prefer meatloaf muffins instead.  Probably won't make this recipe again for our family, but it certainly wasn't bad.   


1 lb ground beef or turkey
1 egg
3/4 c of milk
3 slices of bread torn into small pieces
1 tbsp worchestershire sauce
1/2 tbsp onion powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground mustard
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
1/4 tsp hot sauce
1/8 tsp garlic powder
1/2 c catsup

Heat oven to 350 degrees.  Combine all ingredients (EXCEPT CATSUP) in a large bowl.  Spread mixture into an ungreased loaf pan.  Spread catsup on top.  Bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes.  Let stand for 5 minutes and serve.

Here is how I made this recipe:
Combine all ingredients (EXCEPT CATSUP) in a large bowl.  Place into a container that will fit inside your crockpot.  Freeze.  When ready to cook pop out the frozen, raw meatloaf mixture and place into a foil lined crockpot (just the meatloaf, not the container you froze it in...obviously).  Pour catsup on top of meatloaf.  Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours.  (I cooked mine for 9+ hours).  

No comments:

Post a Comment