Sunday, March 9, 2014

#1,189: Spirulina Smoothie

At some point I'll remember to take a picture of this recipe!


So my new favorite "super food"/find is spirulina.  What is that you ask?  Here is some information that I found at:  http://www.thespirulinabenefits.com/  IF YOU ARE INTERESTED.  (If not, skip to the recipe below)

"The supplement actually contains about 60% of protein, 12-13% of vital minerals such as Magnesium, Calcium, Potassium, Iron, Zinc, and Phosphorous as well as a complete group of vitamin B. It’s also rich in several anti-oxidants, which protect body cells. In fact it is the only source of the antioxidant phycocyanin."

I'm adding it to my smoothies in the morning for some added nutrients and protein. 


I made this recipe, and loved it.  I'm loving it so much I've made it every day for breakfast the last three days.  I plan to give it to my kids eventually too, but so far, I'm not willing to share.  :)

10-12 oz of coconut water (I use about 12-16 oz unsweetened chocolate almond milk)
1TB chia seeds (I use hemp hearts)
1-2TB of spirulina 
1 Frozen Banana
1/2 cup Frozen Berries (I've been using frozen cherries)
Optional: 1-2 scoops of your favorite protein powder (I omit)

Throw everything in the blender and blend till smooth. Add more liquid until desired consistency.

No comments:

Post a Comment