Sunday, March 23, 2014

#1,208: Crockpot Spaghetti Squash & Meatballs


I am not a huge lover of spaghetti squash.  I try to be, but it just doesn't cut it for me.  A few weeks ago my friend Sarah persuaded me to make it again and keep trying it.  Then I came across this recipe, and knew it was the perfect recipe for me to make because it used the crockpot and it included one of my favorite ingredients....sausage.  But I don't love sausage meatballs so I used breakfast sausage instead!!! 

This recipe was so easy to put together before I walked out the door this morning.  I wasn't sure I was going to love it cooking just in tomato sauce so I added about half a jar of left over spaghetti sauce I had from last night.  I think that was a good call (although that makes it non-paleo then). 

This was DELICIOUS!  How do I know I loved this recipe?  Because I kept looking forward to the leftovers and I normally don't do that with spaghetti squash.  And I enjoyed it so much in the crockpot, I ran out and got another one to make a different crockpot spaghetti squash recipe!  Thanks for pushing me to try it again Sarah...YUM!


One medium spaghetti squash
One pound of ground Italian sausage (I used organic pork breakfast sausage)
One can of tomato sauce, I used a 14 ounce can
2 tbsp of hot pepper relish (optional) (I did not use this)
4 to 6 cloves of garlic, whole
2 tbsp of olive oil
Italian seasoning (Oregano, Basil, Thyme) to taste, about 2 tsp

Make sure you use a large 6 quart slow cooker for this recipe. Dump your tomato sauce, olive oil, garlic, hot pepper relish and Italian seasoning into your slow cooker and stir well.

Cut your squash in half and scoop out the seeds.  Place your 2 squash halves face down into your slow cooker. Roll your ground sausage into meatballs, then fit as many as you can in the sauce around the squash. I was able to work in about a half pound worth. Cook on High for 3 hours or cook on low for 5 hours. Use a large fork to pull the “spaghetti” out of your squash, then top with your meatballs and sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment