Friday, July 29, 2011

#337: Mexican Kiwi Tostadas


When I first saw the title of this recipe and the word "kiwi" in it, I almost just deleted it out of my yahoo inbox.  But I've found many recipes from Eat Better America that I enjoy, so I figured one day I'd get around to trying it.  Well as summer is quickly coming to an end (I know it's not done yet, but going back to school soon sure makes it feel that way!), I figured I better try this recipe now while kiwi were still fresh, in season and cheap. 

Surprisingly, I really, really enjoyed the kiwi in this tostada dinner!  It gives it a slightly sweet flavor, but you really can't taste it too much (it's not overpowering at all!).  This got a thumbs up from all four of us. 

1 teaspoon ground cumin


1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1/8 teaspoon salt
8 ounces skinless, boneless chicken breast
1 teaspoon cooking oil
1/4 cup light sour cream
2 tablespoons Old El Paso® Thick ‘n Chunky Salsa (I omitted because I didn't have any on hand)
4 baked tostada shells
2 cups shredded romaine lettuce (I used sauteed peppers and onion instead)
3 kiwifruit, peeled and sliced
1 ounce Mexican Blend cheese, shredded
Old El Paso® Thick ‘n Chunky Salsa (optional)

In a small bowl combine cumin, crushed red pepper, and salt. Brush all sides of chicken with oil; sprinkle evenly with cumin mixture.  Place chicken on the rack of an uncovered grill directly over medium coals. Grill for 12 to 15 minutes or until no longer pink (170ºF), turning once halfway through grilling.

Cut chicken into bite-size strips. In a small bowl combine sour cream and the 2 tablespoons salsa. Spread mixture onto warmed tortillas. Top with lettuce, kiwi, chicken, and cheese. If desired, top with a spoonful of additional salsa.

No comments:

Post a Comment