Thursday, July 7, 2011

#310: Lemon-Sugar Grilled Pineapple


This recipe called to me for three reasons: 1. Pineapple. 2. Sugar 3. Grilled.  As soon as I saw this is my July All You Magazine I ripped it out and taped it to the fridge.  Oh my goodness was this good!!  The lemon really comes out in this dish and it is so refreshing.  YUMMY!  Allison and I shared a whole pineapple and she pretty much kept up with me.  It was that good! 

1 pineapple
2 tbsp grated lemon zest
1/2 c sugar

Trim and peel pineapple.  Cut fruit length-wise into quarters and remove core.  Cut each quarter into half crosswise making 8 sections. 

Combine lemon zest and sugar in a bag.  Rub to blend flavors.  Working with 1 or 2 sections at a time, place pineapple in bag with sugar mixture and carefully turn to coat.  (I didn't bother with only doing one or two pieces at a time...I threw all of it together in a bag and let it sit for about 60 minutes until I was ready to use it.  Yes, I'm sure I lost a lot of the sugar that way (there was about 1/3 c juice in the bag from the pineapple at that point), but it didn't make any difference on the taste). 
Grill over medium low heat, flipping often, until caramelized and slightly softened (5-7 min).  Cool slightly before serving.

2 comments:

  1. I have to try this. We have been grilling pineapple with brown sugar/cinnamon a lot this summer. Sooo yummy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let me know what you think of it! I love the combo of lemon and pineapple!

    ReplyDelete