Sunday, July 17, 2011

#319: Slow Cooker Chicken Stuffed Peppers


I was actually a little nervous making this dish for my family.  I wasn't sure they were going to enjoy it.  Stuffed peppers is usually seen as rice and ground beef.  This recipe would be more like a really large meatball.  But I put my family's preferences aside and decided to make something I wanted to try instead.  (Shhh....don't tell them I said that!). 

Oddly enough, Brian liked this more than I did!  I didn't enjoy this at all.  It was way too mushy for my liking and it might have been much better in the oven as mini meatloaf muffins.  Even the peppers were way over cooked and soft.  Sadly, thumbs down for me!


1 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter

1 1/2 cups herb stuffing mix
2 ribs celery, diced (I omitted)
1 cup plum tomatoes, cored, seeded and diced 
1 pound ground chicken
3/4 teaspoon salt
5 red or green bell peppers, tops removed

Combine butter and 3/4 cup water in medium-size microwavable bowl. Microwave for 1 minute. Add stuffing mix and cover bowl, venting one side. Microwave an additional 1 1/2 minutes. Stir with fork.  In large bowl, combine celery, tomatoes and ground chicken. Stir until blended. Add stuffing and salt. Stir to combine.  Divide stuffing evenly among peppers. Replace pepper tops, fit into slow cooker and add 1 cup hot water. Cover and slow cook for 6 hours on low. Remove with tongs and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment