Wednesday, July 6, 2011

#306: Make-Ahead Pizza Casserole


Since we just got back from vacation, I wanted to try and use up a few ingredients we've had sitting in the freezer.  One of the things I had was 1/2 lb bulk Italian sausage.  So my first thought was some form of a baked pasta.  I found
this recipe on Pillsbury.com and figured it would be the perfect recipe to try.  This got very mixed reviews from our family.  Chloe ate Beefaroni instead, Allison refused to try it, Brian liked it and said he'd eat the leftovers, and I thought it was just OK.  Personally, the noodles were a little too mushy for my taste.  In fact, if I make this again, I'll cook the noodles until they are al dente and then add them just before baking. 

1lb mild Italian pork sausage (I used 1/2 lb)
2cups water
1can (15 oz) pizza sauce (I used pepperoni flavored)
1can (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes with sweet onion, undrained (I used 1/2 can of petite diced tomatoes, then seasoned the pasta mixture with dried minced onion)
4 cups uncooked rotini pasta (10 oz)
1can (2 1/4 oz) sliced ripe olives, drained (I omitted)
1/8 c orange puree (mix of pureed sweet potato and carrots)
1 clove minced garlic
1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella or pizza cheese blend (6 oz)

In 10-inch skillet, cook sausage over medium-high heat 8 to 10 minutes, stirring frequently, until no longer pink; drain.

In a large bowl mix water, pizza sauce, minced garlic, minced onion, orange puree, and tomatoes. Stir in cooked sausage, uncooked pasta and olives (pasta should be completely covered with sauce). Cover tightly with foil; refrigerate at least 8 hours or overnight. (Mine only sat for about 4 hours).

When ready to bake, preheat oven to 350°F.  Stir pasta mixture then pour into an ungreased 9x13 pan.  Cover with foil and bake 1 hour to 1 hour 15 minutes or until bubbly.  Uncover baking dish; stir mixture. Sprinkle with cheese; bake uncovered 5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted.

No comments:

Post a Comment