Tuesday, July 5, 2011

#302: Fresh as Summer Salad


My mom and I wanted a salad side dish to serve with our lunch and I remembered that the latest issue of Taste of Home had some fresh salads listed in it.  I found a recipe that I had bookmarked in my own magazine so we decided to give this one a try.  Although I liked this recipe, it certainly wasn't my favorite salad recipe I've ever made.  And my brother, Mike, strongly expressed his dislike for this salad.  He said, "You know I like all the recipes you make, but this one is awful."  :(  Sorry to disappoint!  I definitely did not hate this recipe, but since it wasn't one of my favorites, I probably wouldn't make it again. 

2 romaine hearts, torn
2 tablespoons olive oil
3/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro, mint, sorrel and/or lemon balm (I used cilantro)
3 green onions, thinly sliced
1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
1 teaspoon lemon juice
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 cup canned garbanzo beans or chickpeas
3 tablespoons pistachios (I used candied almonds)
3 lemon wedges

Place romaine in a large bowl; drizzle with oil and toss to coat. Add herbs and onions; toss to combine. Whisk the yogurt, lemon juice, salt, nutmeg and pepper; add to romaine mixture and toss to coat.  Transfer to a serving platter. Top with garbanzo beans and pistachios. Squeeze lemon wedges over the top. Serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment