Tuesday, July 19, 2011

#323: French Dip Sandwiches


My motto is: why bake it if you can slow cook it?  Why do I like to slow cook meals you might ask?  Well that's simple...it requires very little engergy, it doesn't heat up my kitchen, it can cook all day with out paying attention to it, and clean up is a snap.  I found this recipe in one of my family circle magazines and figured I could make it just as easily in the crockpot as I could in the oven.  Now I should say that unless it comes from Portillo's I usually won't eat it.  And I'm not saying in the least that this compares to Portills's beef...it doesn't.  It's more like a chopped pot roast but it IS good.  We will definitely eat this again.

2 tablespoons unsalted butter

1 medium-large onion, sliced
1 cup lager beer (I omitted)
1 can (14.5 ounces) fat-free, lower-sodium beef broth
1 teaspoon sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 boneless lean top round steak (about 1 1/4 pounds)
1/2 teaspoon Montreal steak seasoning (I used pickling spice...only because I had it on hand)
6 split-top rolls


In large nonstick skillet, melt butter over medium to medium-high heat. Add onion and cook, stirring, 5 minutes.  Pour beer and 1 cup of the beef broth into skillet. Stir in sugar, salt and pepper and bring to a simmer. Cook 3 minutes. Pour mixture into an oven-proof baking dish.

Return skillet to medium-high heat. Sprinkle steak with Montreal seasoning. Add to skillet and brown on both sides, 3 minutes total. Add remaining beef broth to skillet, scraping up any brown bits from pan. Transfer steak to baking dish; pour skillet contents over steak.

Cover dish with foil and roast at 450 degrees F for 25 minutes. Remove from oven and increase heat to broil. Open rolls slightly and toast under broiler for 1 to 2 minutes.

Thinly slice steak against the grain and return to baking dish. Divide meat and onions among rolls, spooning sauce over each. Serve sandwiches with additional sauce for dipping alongside.

No comments:

Post a Comment