Sunday, March 30, 2014

#1,222: Unstuffed Peppers (Casserole)

I really, really enjoy the filling of stuffed peppers, but I dislike the texture of the peppers after they cook because they are so mushy.  So I came up with this recipe which is more of a casserole-ish meal than actual stuffed peppers.  It was so good, and it makes 4 HUGE servings, or 6 more reasonable servings if you are going to eat this with other things/side dishes.  I ate this as my meal with a piece of an apple so I ate 1/4 of the pan.  It was delicious and filling. 

3 bell peppers, diced (I used red, yellow and green)
1 cup cooked brown rice
1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 can corn, drained
1 1/2 cups leftover taco meat
1 can of diced tomatoes with green chilies, drained (this makes it spicy so if you don't like heat at all just use diced tomatoes)

16 oz can of tomato sauce
1/2 c shredded cheddar cheese


In a large bowl combine all of the ingredients until fully combined.  Set aside.  Spray a 9x13 pan lightly with cooking spray.  Pour the pepper mixture into the 9x13 pan.  Bake in the oven uncovered at 375 degrees for 45 minutes.

I stirred the casserole once during the cooking time and let mine cook a little closer to 50-60 minutes because I felt it was a little watery and I wanted it to soak up a little more into the casserole.   

No comments:

Post a Comment