Wednesday, December 23, 2015

#1,716: Blueberry Jello Salad



These are not pretty pictures but I took these pictures after dinner when we got home from my in-laws house (where I brought this).  This is a recipe that you probably are going to really enjoy, or not depending on how much you like sweets as well as blueberries.  I personally wasn't the biggest fan of this, although I did enjoy a small piece of it with my dinner.  2 of my kids were huge fans!  This is something though that is quite sweet so you don't need a lot of it.  I also didn't love the pineapple texture in the bottom layer, but that's just personal preference.  Still good, just not my favorite thing to eat.  It was super simple to make though.  
1 can (16-ounces) crushed pineapple (reserved drained juice)
1 cup boiling water
2 boxes (3 ounces) of grape or berry-blue JELL-O gelatin 
1 can (16-ounces) blueberry pie filling
1/2 cup fresh blueberries, washed (for topping, which I omitted)
1/4 cup chopped pecans

* For a cherry version, substitute cherry flavored gelatin and cherry pie filling.
 
Drain the pineapple juice into a one (1) cup measuring cup. Fill the rest of the cup to the top with boiling water.  Pour the gelatin into the pineapple juice/boiling water mixture and stir until the crystals are completely dissolved. Add crushed pineapple and blueberry pie filling. Stir to combine.

Pour the gelatin mixture into a 9- by 13-inch pan. Cover and refrigerate until firmly set. The salad can be ready to serve in 2 to 3 hours or leave overnight. Keep chilled until ready to serve.

Approximately 30 minutes before serving, spread with the prepared creamed cheese topping until covered evenly. Garnish with fresh blueberries and chopped nuts. Cover with plastic wrap and chill for another 30 minutes before serving. 

No comments:

Post a Comment