Saturday, December 12, 2015

#1,706: Pumpkin Chili

I made a few alterations to this recipe based on items I already had on hand.  Plus I'm not a huge chicken soup fan, so I substituted cooked ground turkey instead.  Overall I do like this recipe.  I think I would have liked it more with the black beans, but I thought I had some but didn't, so decided to use a few handfuls of lentils instead.  This is a comforting dish to eat this time of year, and I like the addition of the pumpkin, it goes well with the diced tomatoes.  
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 medium sweet yellow pepper, chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
3 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
1 can (15 ounces) solid-pack pumpkin (I used about 3/4 of the can)
1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
2 teaspoons chili powder
1-1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
1-1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
2 cans (15 ounces each) black beans, rinsed and drained (I used lentils)
1-1/2 cups shredded cooked chicken (I used ground turkey)
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro or parsley (I used both!)


In a 6-qt. stockpot, heat oil over medium heat. Add pepper and onion; cook and stir 6-8 minutes or until tender. Stir in garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
Stir in broth, pumpkin, tomatoes and seasonings. Mash one can of beans. Add mashed beans and remaining can of whole beans to pot; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 45 minutes to allow flavors to blend, stirring occasionally. Stir in chicken and cilantro; heat through. Yield: 8 servings (2-1/2 quarts).

No comments:

Post a Comment