Sunday, January 30, 2011

#169: Mexican Stuffed Shells


My two favorite ethnic food groups are Italian and Mexican...this was a perfect combination of both!  Brian and I BOTH enjoyed this one.  He took the remaining ones for lunch tomorrow, and had my lunch not already been packed, I might have fought him for them.  : )  I topped mine with some sour cream...yummy!

12 -18 large pasta shells, cooked (I got 15 in our pan)
1 lb ground beef  (I used 3/4 lb ground turkey)
3 tablespoons taco seasoning
3 tbsp fat free refried beans
1/2 cup water
1 onion, chopped
1 1/2 cups salsa, divided (I used picante sauce)
1 cup grated Mexican Blend cheese, divided
24 oz tomato sauce (I used 16 oz)

chili powder, to taste
green onion, for garnish  (I omitted)

Brown ground beef and drain.  Add seasoning, water, onion, refried beans, 1/2 cup of salsa and 1/4 cup cheese.  Mix together remaining salsa, tomato sauce, and chili powder.
Spread a thin layer of sauce on the bottom of a 9 x 12 baking pan. (I used a 9 in pie pan)  Fill each shell with the ground beef mixture and place in pan. Pour remaining sauce on top. (I did not pour any on top).  Sprinkle on the rest of the cheese (I used 1/4 c) on top and garnish with green onion. Cover and freeze at this point.

Defrost overnight and bake at 350°F for 30 minutes. (OR Cook from frozen for 2 hours at 300°F).


My version turned out to be 2 ww+ pts each.

1 comment:

  1. Made these and loved these! Curt did too. Five stars from him and four from me. I actually liked them better the second day. I would like them with less salsa and more beans. I added sour cream on top and would love it with lettuce.

    ReplyDelete