Saturday, January 1, 2011

#137: Banana Oat Chocolate Chip Bars



I recently came across this website thanks to my friend Tracy Lynn from Texas. There are several recipes on my January menu from this site. When I make recipes for the girls to take to school with them, ideally I'd like them to be healthy. That's not always the case (like when I made sausage balls or when I will be making maple-bacon breakfast rolls eventually!), but I do try! I decided not to make these into cookies and follow the bar recipe instead because I was also freezer cooking dinners at the same time and the bars were 100x's easier!


3 Bananas (preferably ripe or spotty bananas) (I used 1 1/2--that's all I had on hand)
1/4 c applesauce (to make up for the lack of bananas)
2 Cups Old Fashioned Oats
1 Cup Dried Dates, pitted and chopped (I used 1/2 c raisins instead)
1/4 Cup Oil
1/2 Tsp Cinnamon
1/2 Cup Chocolate Chips, Walnuts or Raisins (I used choc chips)
1/4 Tsp Salt

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mash bananas in a bowl, and mix in the remaining ingredients. Allow the mixture to sit for 10 minutes. Using a mini ice cream scoop or tablespoon, place the batter onto a Silpat or parchment-lined baking sheet. Bake for 25 Minutes. Cool and serve.
** To make into bars – place dough in a greased 7×11 dish (I used an 8x8 foil lined and greased pan), bake for 35-40 minutes then allow to cool. Cut into bars or squares.

**To Freeze: allow cookies to cool after baking then place in a Ziploc bag, label and freeze for up to 3 months.

No comments:

Post a Comment