Tuesday, January 4, 2011

#143: Homemade Turkey Meatballs

Sorry, picture of just the meatballs.  I forgot to take one!
Since I was making the Meatball and Stuffing Bake, I didn't want to use store bought, frozen meatballs because they are SO unhealthy.  I had 10 lbs of ground turkey in my fridge, so I decided to make my own instead.  I found the recipe from Deep South Dish and they turned out great!  In fact, I think I ate 5 or 6 before they got bagged up and put in the freezer.  They were a little soft/mushy when they first came out of the oven, so I thought we were going to hate them, but as they sat on the cookie sheet, the firmed up and tasted delish!

1 pound of ground beef
1/2 cup of dry bread crumbs (regular or Italian)
1/3 cup of onion, finely minced
1/4 cup of milk
1 egg
1 tablespoon of fresh parsley
1 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Mix the ground beef, bread crumbs, onion, milk, egg, parsley, salt, pepper, and Worcestershire. Gently shape into 1-inch balls. I used a small cookie scoop to keep them uniform and then gently molded them into ball-ish shapes.  Place on a baking sheet that has been coated with non-stick spray, and bake on the center rack of the oven, for about 25 to 30 minutes at 350 degrees, turning once halfway through.

To Freeze: Allow meatballs to cool completely, then transfer to a baking sheet that has been lightly coated with non-stick spray (or place on wax paper). Place into the freezer until frozen, then transfer to a freezer bag.

Makes about 24 meatballs.

No comments:

Post a Comment