Thursday, January 20, 2011

#163: Pizza Casserole


I found this recipe when searching for freezer meals at Once a Month Cooking.  It looked yummy so I figured I'd give it a try.  It wasn't anything super special, but it was good and we all enjoyed it.  It basically was like a baked pasta dish, and Brian thought it would be better with ground Italian sausage, but never less it was good.  This recipe only serves 4 though.

1 pound ground beef (I used 3/4 lb)

16 oz pizza sauce
I added in orange puree (mix of carrots and sweet potatoes)
1 Tablespoon Oregano
1 teaspoon garlic salt
2 cups pasta, cooked and drained
2/3 cups milk
3 cups Mozzarella cheese, shredded (1 cup set aside)


While preparing the sauce, boil the pasta noodles. Brown the ground beef. When noodles are finished cooking, drain and return to pot. Together in the pot mix all ingredients, stirring thoroughly. Add to a deep dish 8×8 pan, top with remaining cheese. Cover and bake at 350 degrees for 3o minutes.


Freezing Directions:
Prepare up to the point of baking, do not bake. Instead, cover and freeze. (When I made this, I just made the filling...not a fan of frozen noodles in most dishes.  Then I made the noodles yesterday and mixed it all together.  Today I just popped it in the oven when I got home).
To serve: Thaw. Bake covered at 350 degrees for 3o minutes.  Or bake double the time if frozen.  (I baked at 400 degrees for about 30 min and then uncovered and baked another 10 minutes).

No comments:

Post a Comment