Sunday, January 2, 2011

#138: Pumpkin Sloppy Joes


I NEVER thought Brian would 1. eat this; 2. save the leftovers for another meal and agree to take this for leftovers.  Chloe also loved this and Allison thought it was just okay.  I will admit, I tried this right after I made it and you could tell there was something different in this recipe, so I was afraid it was going to be a total bust of a meal, but after sitting (in our freezer for a month), the flavors blended nicely and you could taste the cloves, but not the pumpkin.  It's not my favorite version of sloppy joes so I don't think this is a recipe I'll make all the time, but I snuck in a veggie to my 3 non-veggie-loving eaters so this one will show up on our menu again eventually.  : )   And Brian, when you read this, your portions DID NOT have pumpkin in it!
 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean) (I used ground turkey)
3 tablespoons finely chopped onion
1/4 cup ketchup
2 tablespoons tomato juice (I used the drained juice from a can of petite diced tomatoes)
1/4 teaspoon chili powder
Dash ground cloves and nutmeg (I didn't have ground clove so I threw a few whole ones in)
Dash pepper
2/3 cup canned pumpkin
hamburger buns or rolls


Directions
In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain.
Add the ketchup, tomato juice, chili powder, cloves, nutmeg and pepper. Bring to a boil. Stir in pumpkin. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until heated through. Serve on buns.

No comments:

Post a Comment