Tuesday, January 18, 2011

#161: Velveeta Tex-Mex Beef and Potatoes


I think I found this recipe in one of my Kraft magazines, but I'm really not 100% sure on that.  I love potatoes, hashbrowns, tater tots, any sort of spud really...so I was eager to try this one!

This was a little spicy (too much taco seasoning and not enough Velveeta??) so the girls ate it, but didn't eat a ton of it.  Brian said he liked the meat mixture, but does not like potatoes in his food, so he didn't enjoy it...won't even take it for lunch so that's not a good sign.  I liked this, but I didn't love it.  I'd definitely eat it again, but it wasn't filling enough for me...I could have eaten a lot more than 1 serving.  : ) 
1 lb ground beef (I used 3/4 lb ground turkey)
1 red pepper, chopped (I used 1/2 jar of picante sauce)

1 chopped onion
1 pkg taco seasoning mix
1/2 c water
1/8 c refried beans
4 c frozen southern-style cubed hashbrowns
10 oz frozen corn (I used 1 c)
8 oz velveeta cut into cubes (I used 2 oz to make it healthier)

Heat oven to 350°F.  Brown meat with peppers and onions in large skillet; drain. Return to skillet.

Stir in taco mix and water. Add potatoes, corn and velveeta; mix well. Spoon into 13x9-inch baking dish; cover.  Bake 20 min.; stir. Bake, uncovered, 15 min. or until heated through.

No comments:

Post a Comment