Wednesday, January 12, 2011

#153: Southwest Chicken Roll-ups

The filling squished out a bit when I took the picture...
I found this recipe on my regular search of posts from moneysavingmom and since this looked like a ridiculously easy recipe to make on my freezer cooking day, I decided to give it a try.  This was VERY easy to prepare!

First of all, I halved the recipe, just in case my family wasn't a fan.  I poached my chicken in some chicken broth the day before and then let it cool in the fridge overnight.  Then when I was ready to start cooking, this was a snap to put together.  Of course I made some additions/changes though.

This went over pretty well with my gang.  Chloe (not a Mexican food lover...can't be MY child!) wasn't a fan and preferred to eat about a cup of blueberries instead.  Allison ate all of hers and I had planned that Brian and I would both eat 2 at dinner, but instead ended up only eating one a piece...these were more filling that I expected.  Overall, I'd make these again.  They sure were easy!!


Southwest Roll-ups (this version made 7 for me)

1 cans refried beans (I used 1/2 can)
1/2 cup salsa (I used picante sauce)
2 cups cooked chicken, chopped
2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese (I used Mexican Blend cheese)
I added 1/4 c orange puree (mix of sweet potatoes and carrots)
8 tortillas

I used my Pampered Chef hand chop to dice/chop the heck out of my chicken!  A baby with no teeth could have eaten this filling!  (But I don't like big pieces of chicken).  Mix together beans, salsa, and chicken.  Add in and mix in cheese.  Put the tortillas in the microwave for about 15-30 seconds to soften up and so they won't break when rolled.  Spread 1/8 of mixture onto one tortilla.  Roll up and turn ends under. Stick in a freezer bag or in a 9×13 baking pan and freeze.

When ready to bake, thaw and bake in a pre-heated 350 degrees oven for 20-30 minutes until heated through. Sprinkle with more shredded cheese, if desired. Serve with salsa and sour cream if desired.

My roll-ups (w/our sour cream and only 1/2 c cheese sprinkled on top of all) = 8 ww+ pts each

No comments:

Post a Comment