Sunday, January 16, 2011

#157: Hamburger Vegetable Soup

I'm always looking for healthy, filling lunches to take to school with me, so when I came across this recipe and realized I had almost all of the ingredients on hand to make 1/2 batch, I decided to give this one a try.  But as I started making it, I decided to add just about the same amount of veggies and liquid, but to half other ingredients (making it healthier!).  Although I think my version turned out a little bland, I loved it!  This will be my lunch all week!!

2 lbs. ground beef (I used 3/4 lb)
2 cups chopped onion (I used 1 small onion)
2 cups peeled and diced potatoes (I used 1 c)
2 cups sliced carrots
2 cups shredded cabbage
4 (14.5-oz) cans diced tomatoes (I used 2)
1/2 cup brown rice, uncooked (I used 1/4 c)
6 to 10 cups water (I used 8)
1 1/2 to 2 1/2 Tablespoons salt (I used 1/2 tsp...totally could use more though!)
1/2 teaspoon basil
1/2 teaspoon thyme (I used 1/4 tsp)
2 bay leaves


Brown ground beef and onion together until meat is lightly browned. Drain off excess fat. Add all remaining ingredients and bring mixture to a boil.  Cover and simmer for two to four hours. Check periodically and add more water, if needed. Remove bay leaves and serve.


My version made 6 HUGE servings (almost 4 ladels full per serving) which = 4 ww+ per serving

No comments:

Post a Comment