Sunday, January 16, 2011

#156: "Starbucks" Cinnamon Scones


MAKE THESE!  Run to your pantry to double check that you have all of the ingredients (I'm sure you do!) and then make these.  Make them for dessert tonight or for breakfast tomorrow.  In fact, you might as well make a double batch and eat one today and one tomorrow.  These are yummy!  YUMMY!!! 

I made these for the girls to take to school with them tomorrow and stupidly I tried one.  I should have just packed them in a tin and put them aside until tomorrow.  But no, I wanted to try a super small piece so I could "review" it....BIG mistake.  A super little piece turned into eating any little piece that might have "accidentally" fallen off while moving to the cooling rack...which ultimately lead to eating another one.  Grrr....do you know how many points I'm going to add just because of this?!  Going to have to workout tonight too.

2 cups flour

2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup butter
1 egg, separated
3 tablespoons honey (I used maple syrup)
1/3 cup buttermilk (I made my own)
1 teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt (I used more like 1/4)
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon (I used 1 tbsp)


Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.  Mix the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Cut in the butter and mix until crumbly. In another bowl, mix the egg yolk (save the white for later) with honey (or maple syrup) and buttermilk until blended. Then, add to the dry mixture. Stir until just combined.


Using floured hands, form the dough into a ball on a floured surface.  Roll or pat it out until it’s roughly a half an inch thick and 8 inches in diameter. Cut pizza style into equally sized pieces.  Put onto a greased baking pan. (I used a pizza pan) Then, whisk the egg white until frothy and coat the tops of the scones. Mix the sugar and cinnamon together and sprinkle on top.


Bake for about 10-12 minutes.  Top with a powdered sugar/milk/vanilla glaze.

No comments:

Post a Comment