Thursday, January 27, 2011

#167: Oven (crock) Country Steaks


I found this recipe on Onceamonthmom's blog and figured if I could make it in a low oven, I could definitely make it in the crockpot, so why bother wasting my time with the oven!  The only downfall to that was that I put it in the crockpot still frozen, so when I came home from work, it was still in it's frozen mounded shape.  The meat, definitely was cooked, but it wasn't like each piece was sitting perfectly in juice the entire day. 

With that said though, this was pretty good.  Not something I would want every week (but I don't love round steak), but definitely something I would make again. 

3 pounds round steak, cut into 8 pieces
1/2 cup flour (I omitted)
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoons pepper
2 Tablespoons vegetable oil (I omitted)
1 Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1/2 cup ketchup
6 cloves, whole (I used about 1 tbsp minced)
1/2 cups onions, diced
1/2 cups celery, diced (I omitted)
2 cups beef broth

Directions:
(I skipped this step) Pat flour into steak on both sides. Heat a skillet with the vegetable oil and brown steak on both sides. Place cooked steaks into 2 8×8 baking pans or a 9×13 baking pan.  Pour all of the remaining ingredients over the steak. Cover and bake in oven at 350 degrees for 2 or more hours, until tender. If steak begins to dry out when cooking add beef broth or water.


(This is what I did):  Place the round steak piecs in the crock pot.  Pour all of the remaining ingredients over the steak. Cover and cook on low for 8+ hours (mine cooked for 10).  If steak begins to dry out when cooking add beef broth or water. 


Freezing Directions:
Prepare as above but do not bake. Instead cover and freeze. To serve: Thaw then follow baking (or crockpot) directions above.

No comments:

Post a Comment