Wednesday, February 2, 2011

#170: Crockpot Sausage and Peppers


I really wanted to like this.  (Brian and Allison liked this, Chloe did not) I'm not sure if it was the meat choice or the time in the crockpot, but the texture of this was a tad off (super soft!).  I'm also not sure I like that this cooked all day in red wine vinegar.  In retrospect, that's an odd choice.  You'll definitely need to do the cornstarch/mustard mix so it cuts down on the vinegar taste.  (Shhh, don't tell Brian it was dipped in mustard).  I will definitely try this again, and use turkey sausage (instead of brats) and only cook this for a couple of hours instead of all day like I did.   If you try this, let me know what you think...was it this cook's error?! 

4 large sweet peppers of assorted colors, seeded and sliced (I used 2)
1 large onion, cut into wedges
1 package (20 ounces) hot or sweet Italian turkey sausages (I used 5 turkey brats)
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1-1/2 tablespoons cornstarch mixed with 2 tablespoons water
1 tablespoon grainy mustard
6 multigrain submarine or hoagie rolls (about 3 ounces each)

Directions
Combine peppers, onion, sausages, vinegar, thyme and black pepper in a 5- to 6-quart slow cooker.
Cook on HIGH for 3 hours or LOW for 6 hours. Use a slotted spoon to remove peppers and sausages from slow cooker; set aside and keep warm.

Heat broiler. Pour liquid from slow cooker into a small saucepan. Whisk in cornstarch mixture and mustard. Bring to a boil; boil 1 minute or until thickened. (I was too lazy to dirty another pot, so I just did it in the crockpot...it never got thicker, but that was okay with me!)


Meanwhile, slice rolls almost all the way through lengthwise. Place on a baking sheet, cut-side up, on top rack under broiler for 1 to 2 minutes or until toasted. Cut sausages diagonally into 1/2-inch-thick slices and stir back into pepper mixture. Place a scant 1 cup sausage mixture on each roll. Drizzle each sandwich with a generous 2 tablespoons sauce, reserving remaining sauce for dipping. Serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment