Saturday, February 26, 2011

#185: Crockpot Thyme Chicken


I love the crockpot for ease of preparation and moistness of the meat we are cooking.  I do NOT like the crockpot because it doesn't brown up the meat (i.e. CHICKEN!).  Every time I make chicken in the crockpot, I assume I'm not going to enjoy it because it's just white and boring looking.  Then I eat it and am pleasantly surprised how moist and tender it is and usually enjoy it anyways.  So not visually stimulating though!  This recipe is exactly everything I love and hate about my crock. 

This was happily very moist and tender and I ended up chopping up some of the chicken and throwing it in my salad I was eating.  I would definitely make this recipe again (for taste not looks).  The "juice" the chicken was cooking in worked great as a broth to cook our brown rice in.  You can see from all of the red text below that I made some changes to the original recipe.  :)

2 cup chicken stock
½ cup white wine (I used another 1/2 c of chicken broth)
½ tbsp dried thyme
1 clove garlic (minced)
1 lemon, cut in half (I didn't have that so I used some lemon juice)
3 lbs Chicken Pieces (I used about 1.25 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts)


1. Place everything except the lemon and chicken in the Crock Pot.  (Of course I didn't listen to this and threw it all in together.  Then I froze it.  I defrosted in the fridge for about 24 hours and stuck it in the crockpot still partially frozen.)

2. Give the lemon a bit of a squeeze into the crock and then add the entire lemon (yes the entire thing).  (I skipped this step)


3. Mix it all together.

4. Add the chicken and stir around as best you can to coat all in the liquid. (Skipped this step too)

5. Cook on low for 7-8 hours (I cooked mine for about 9).

6. To serve I poured out some of the liquid into a saucepan, added about a tablespoon of corn starch that was dissolved in water and brought it to the boil for a thick, thyme gravy.  (That would have been a fantastic idea...who has the extra time?  I just need to get dinner on the table.  By this point Chloe was following me around the kitchen repeating "eat."  We were able to squeak a few extra minutes by giving her some bread to chew on). 

Serves 4-6 Serve with rice or mashed potato.

No comments:

Post a Comment