Monday, February 21, 2011

#180: Dark Chocolate Cream Pie

I COULD have taken a better photo, but once we started eating this, I didn't go back to take another one.

Real Chocolate + Pie = YUMMY! Oh I will definitely be making this one again!  And I am most proud that this did not have pudding as an ingredient...yes this was home made! (Not the crust though, I'm not that ambitious!)  This was very easy!  My pie crust edges broke a bit as I cut it though.  : (
**Halfway through cooking the crust, I put a ring of aluminum foil around the edges so they wouldn't burn.**

1-1/4 cups sugar
1/4 cup cornstarch
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 cups milk (I used skim)
3 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
4 egg yolks, lightly beaten (I only had 3 on hand, so that's what I used)
3 tablespoons butter
1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 pastry shell (9 inches), baked 


In a large saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch and salt. Stir in milk and chocolate. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat.

Stir a small amount of hot filling into egg yolks; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat.  Gently stir in butter and vanilla. Spoon into pastry shell. Cool on a wire rack. Cover and chill for at least 3 hours. Yield: 8 servings.

No comments:

Post a Comment