Wednesday, February 23, 2011

#184: Strombolli


When I came across this recipe I knew I could make this a little healthier and that I really wanted to try it.  And boy am I glad I did...this was good!


2 loaves italian bread
1 c pizza sauce (I used about 1 1/2 c)
1 lb bulk sausage (I used 3/4 lb ground turkey), cooked, crumbled and drained
20 slices pepperoni (I used about 8 pieces and chopped it up)
1/4 c sliced black olives (I omitted)
1/4 c sliced mushrooms (I omitted)
I added 1 tsp italian seasoning and 3 shakes of garlic powder

1/2 lb mozzarella cheese, shredded or sliced
(I also snuck in orange puree --sweet potato and carrots-- to mine!)



Here are the real directions:  Cut the loaves of bread in half horizontally without cutting all the way through.  Spread 1/2 c of pizza sauce on the bottom of each loaf.  Next layer the remaining ingredients: cooked sausage, pepperoni, olives, mushrooms then cheese.  Partially close the sandwiches and bake in a 350 degree oven for 15-20 minutes or until cheese is melted and meat is heated through.

Here's mine:
Cook the sausage.  Chop the pepperoni into bite size pieces.  In a small bowl combine the cooked ground meat, pepperoni, 1 cup of the pizza sauce (more or less is fine), seasonings and orange puree.  Add in any chopped vegetables as desired: mushrooms, black olives, chopped peppers, etc.  Mix to combine.  FREEZE until ready to use.


When ready to cook defrost in the fridge over night.  Pop in the microwave for about 2 minutes to heat through. 

Cut the loaves of bread in half horizontally without cutting all the way through.  Spread 1/2 c (or so) of pizza sauce on the bottom of each loaf.  Close the bread so it spreads onto both the top and the bottom.  (No reason to dirty a knife!).  Open the bread and top w/meat mixture.  Next, add mozzarella cheese (I used shredded).  Partially close the sandwiches and bake in a 350 degree oven for 15-20 minutes or until cheese is melted and meat is heated through.  About 10 minutes into baking place a piece of aluminum foil over the top of the bread so it doesn't over bake. 




No comments:

Post a Comment