Sunday, February 13, 2011

#179: Healthy Chicken Fiesta Soup


My friend Jaime posted this recipe on our other recipe blog threecookingmamas.com.  I'm always looking for something healthy, low point and filling for lunches, so when she posted this I was excited to try it. 

Of course in typical Tracy fashion I had to make some changes to it.  (Not because I didn't like it, but to make it easier for me!)  I loved this!!  I can't wait for lunch tomorrow.

1 lb ground chicken meat, browned (I used chicken tenders and shredded when cooked)
1 (14.5 oz) can of Great Northern beans; rinsed and drained
1 (16 oz) can chicken broth
2 garlic cloves; minced
1 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground red pepper (I omitted)
1 Tbsp lime juice
1 bay leaf
1 (4 oz) can diced, green chiles
1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes
2 cups frozen corn (I used 1 cup)

Add chicken, beans, broth, garlic, salt, lime juice, bay leaf, chilies, and tomatoes to the slow cooker. (I also added 1/2 jar picante sauce and threw my raw chicken tenders in the crockpot and let it cook for 6 hours.  Then I shredded and added it back in).  

Cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours. Add in oregano, ground red pepper, and corn and stir. Cover and cook for another half hour.

Ladle into bowls and serve with cilantro, cheese, and sour cream if desired. (I chopped up some cilantro and threw it right into the pot w/the oregano and corn).


1 cup = 4 WW+ points (I got 6 big servings at 4 pts each)  (without cheese or sour cream)

No comments:

Post a Comment