Tuesday, February 8, 2011

#176: Grandma Myrtle's BBQ


At my bridal shower (6 1/2 years ago) I received a bunch of recipes and I FINALLY got around to making this one that I got from Brian's grandma.  (This is exactly why I started this blog/challenge.   I have SO many recipes collected that I never get around to trying them. This is not only forcing me to try recipes I've had for a while, but I'm really enjoying making so many new things!)

Anyhow, this family loves sloppy joes and it frequently ends up on our menu because it's easy to make, freezes well, is quick to reheat and relatively low in points.  This recipe did not disappoint.  Thanks for sharing this one Grandma Hitchins!

1/4 c chopped onion
1/4 c chopped celery (I omitted)

1 lb ground beef (we used ground turkey)
2 tbsp brown sugar
2 tbsp vinegar
3 tbsp worchester sauce
1/2 tsp mustard

1 c catsup

Sautee onion and celery until tender.  Meanwhile, brown ground beef in a skillet.  (I cooked my beef and onion together).  Add vegetables when tender.  When beef is browned and crumbled, add remaining ingredients.  Simmer, covered, for at least 1/2 hour, stirring often. 

No comments:

Post a Comment