Tuesday, December 30, 2014

#1,416: Haricots Verts with Roasted Shallots


I still had some leftover hericot verts in my fridge so I needed one more recipe to try to use up these delicious little beans.  I pretty much love any veggie roasted in olive oil, so I was happy to try this roasted shallot hericot vert recipe.  Shallots are one ingredient that I do not use often, and have never eaten them roasted, so I was excited to try this.

I think I need to start buying shallots more often.  These were delicious roasted, and I loved them with the green beans!  Great recipe! 

2 lbs. haricots verts or slender green beans, washed and trimmed
1 lb. shallots, peeled and cut lengthwise to the root end 
6 Tablespoons olive oil, divided 
salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste

Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Lightly spray a cooking sheet with Pam or other nonstick spray.
In a medium bowl, toss the shallots with 2 Tablespoons of the olive oil, salt, and pepper. Spread the seasoned onions evenly over the prepared cookie sheet. Roast until golden and tender, stirring about every 8 minutes, about 18-20 minutes total cooking time.
Meanwhile, bring a large pot of salted water to boil. Blanch the green beans for 3 minutes. Be careful not to overcook. Working quickly, drain in a large colander and then transfer the beans to an ice water bath to stop the cooking process. Drain again and pat dry with paper towels.
In a large sauté pan, heat the remaining 4 Tablespoons of olive oil over medium-high flame. Toss in the roasted shallots and blanched beans, tossing until thoroughly coated with the oil. Stirring frequently, sauté until heated through, about 3 or 4 minutes. Sprinkle with chopped fresh parsley, if desired. Serve hot

No comments:

Post a Comment