Monday, December 22, 2014

#1,393: Mexican Cornbread Casserole


This is a great recipe to use up leftover taco meat.  OR if you make a double batch every time like I do, you'll have the meat mixture ready to go and in the freezer ready to use when you are ready.  I decided that using two types of corn in this for my non-veggie eating husband was pushing my luck, so I only used the can of creamed corn.  I also made a smaller batch of this and used one box of cornbread mix.  I put the entire can of creamed corn into the cornbread mixture instead too.  Why not, right?!?

My family enjoyed this, but was not totally in love with it like I was.  But I love tacos and cornbread, so what's not to love?


Nonstick cooking spray
1 pound ground beef
1 (1.25-ounce) package taco seasoning mix
2 (8.5-ounce) boxes corn muffin mix
1 (14.0-ounce) can cream-style corn 
1 (14.0-ounce) can corn kernels, drained (I omitted)
1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
1 (4-ounce) can chopped green chiles, drained

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly coat a 9 x 13-inch baking pan with cooking spray.

In a skillet, brown the ground beef. Add the taco seasoning per package directions.

Mix the corn muffin batter per package directions. Stir in half of the cream-style corn and half of the regular corn.


Spread half of the batter in the baking pan. Top with the meat. Mix the remaining cream-style corn and corn kernels and spread that over the meat. Sprinkle with half of the cheese, then the green chiles. Spread the remaining batter on top, and sprinkle with the remaining cheese (I didn't add more on top). Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, until the cornbread is baked through. Let sit for about 5 minutes, then cut into squares to serve


No comments:

Post a Comment