Thursday, December 11, 2014

#1,390: Spaghetti Squash with Kale and Sausage

Since I started my weightloss journey on FoodFuels, I've stopped eating any form of sausage.  It was a very hard transition at first because it was one of my go-to, easy proteins.  Now that I've hit my weightloss goal (and only until Jan 1 when I start right back on my plan to continue to lose more weight hopefully) I've added back a little bit of turkey sausage.  So I was super excited to try this recipe that has been sitting on my pinterest board for a few months now.  


1 med-large Spaghetti Squash
12 oz. sweet Italian sausage (I used cooked turkey sausage, diced)
1 shallot, minced
1 clove garlic, minced
1 large bunch kale
big pinch crushed red chiles
sea salt
freshly ground black pepper
freshly grated Parmesan cheese (optional)

Preheat oven to 350° F. Line a baking sheet with a silicone mat or parchment paper.

Cut the tip and the tail off of the squash and then cut in half lengthwise. Scoop out the seeds. Set both halves, cut side down, on the prepared baking sheet. Roast for 45 minutes - 1 hour, or until tender (the tip of a small, thin-bladed knife should slide in easily). Set aside for a few minutes, until cool enough to handle.

When the squash is getting near the end of its cooking time, set a large skillet over medium to medium-high heat and add the sausage. Cook, stirring as needed to break up, until cooked through and a bit brown.  Add shallots and garlic and saute for another minute or two, until soft.

Pull the large, woody stems from the kale, and slice the leaves into thin ribbons. Add to the skillet along with the crushed red chile flakes and cook, stirring until tender and just cooked through. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

Use a fork to scrape the still warm squash into strands. Arrange on a serving platter.


Scoop the sausage and kale mixture over the top. Grate some Parmesan over the top of everything and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment