Tuesday, December 30, 2014

#1,414: Quinoa and Vegetable Soup


I originally set out to make a different quinoa soup recipe, but then realized I was out of one of the main ingredients.  So I ran to google to search for a different soup recipe instead.  I was already mid-recipe so this recipe seemed like the perfect one to continue making, since the start of the recipe was the same.  Although I think this is lacking a little bit with the seasoning, I really am enjoying eating this.  I like the slight nuttiness from the quinoa and texture it gives this soup.  Although it absorbs A LOT of the liquid so there isn't a ton of broth in this soup.  (I'm ok with that though!)  

2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons butter
1 onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 cup diced carrot
1/2 cup chopped celery
2 tablespoons dried parsley
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 bay leaf
1 pinch dried thyme
2 (32 ounce) cartons chicken broth
1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes (I used 14 oz of petite diced)
2 cups shredded cabbage (I omitted)
1 (15 ounce) can light red kidney beans, drained (I omitted)
1/2 cup quinoa, uncooked


Heat olive oil and butter in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium heat; cook and stir onion, garlic, carrot, and celery until softened, 5 to 10 minutes. Add parsley, basil, bay leaf, thyme, chicken broth, and tomatoes; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until heated through, 10 minutes.

Stir cabbage, kidney beans, and quinoa into the soup. Cover and simmer until quinoa is tender, 30 minutes. Garnish each serving with Parmesan cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment