Sunday, December 28, 2014

#1,412: Crockpot Mexican Quinoa with Butternut Squash


Since starting on FoodFuels, I greatly limited the amount of carbs I consumed over the last six months, and plan to re-start back on my plan as soon as the holidays are done.  One carb that I rarely eat anymore, but do enjoy is quinoa.  So I figured I would take the time time week to make a quinoa recipe for lunch or dinner.  This recipe was super appealing to me because of the addition of the butternut squash as well.  I've been dying to make one of my squash that I got from my garden this summer.

Sadly, I hated this recipe.  There is WAY too much enchilada sauce in this recipe and I cut in down in half AND upped the amount of chicken broth to dilute it even more.  All you taste is the enchilada sauce.  I sadly dumped the entire batch...there goes my saved garden butternut squash!  :(  Big sad face.  Oh well...not every recipe I try/make, I like.  Sigh.... 

1 and 1/2 pounds (~4 cups) butternut squash
1 cup frozen corn
1 can (15.25 ounces) black beans
1 cup uncooked quinoa, rinsed
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1 can (14.5 ounces) fire-roasted petite diced tomatoes (I did not use fire-roasted)
1 small jalapeno, diced
2 cans (19 ounces each) red enchilada sauce (I used ONE can)
1 cup vegetable or chicken broth (I used about 4 cups…I thought it really needed to cut down on the amount of enchilada sauce)
1 packet (1.25 ounces) taco seasoning (I used ½ of a packet)

Optional toppings: shredded cheddar cheese, fresh lime juice, sour cream, chopped cilantro

Spray your slow cooker with nonstick spray. 

Peel and de-seed the butternut squash. Cut it into cubes and place in the slow cooker.
Add in the corn, drained and rinsed black beans, rinsed quinoa, minced garlic, undrained fire-roasted petite diced tomatoes, diced jalapeno, the 2 cans of enchilada sauce, the vegetable or chicken broth, and the packet of taco seasoning.  Give everything a really good stir, cover and cook on high for 3-4 hours or until the quinoa is cooked and the butternut squash is tender.

Remove the lid and stir everything together really well. Allow the liquid to absorb while on low for another 30 minutes or until mostly absorbed.

Season with any additional spices and/or salt and pepper if desired.


Top bowls with optional toppings - some shredded cheese, fresh lime juice, sour cream, and cilantro is what we love

No comments:

Post a Comment