Monday, December 22, 2014

#1,398: Homemade Antipasto Salad

Disclaimer: This fantastic photo is NOT mine.  I cannot find the picture I took anywhere!  This photo is from of Taste of Home.

My family is known for making the pasta salad that has salad supreme (and a lot of it!!) in the dressing mixed with Italian salad dressing.  It's not my favorite salad that my mom makes (shhh...don't tell her), BUT although I liked this pasta salad better, I thought it lacked a lot of flavor and seasoning.  I loved the dressing but it needed something more.  Like maybe a little bit of salad supreme or seasoned salt or something!  I would make this again though...but continue to work on the spices and seasonings.

The original recipe states that the amounts/quantities below is for FIFTY servings, so adjust accordingly!!!


2 packages (1 pound each) spiral pasta
4 cups chopped green peppers
4 cups chopped seeded tomatoes (I used canned petite diced tomatoes b/c I was lazy)
3 cups chopped onions
2 cans (15 ounces each) garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
1 pound thinly sliced Genoa salami, julienned
1 pound sliced pepperoni, julienned (I omitted)
1/2 pound provolone cheese, cubed (I used shredded parmesan)
1 cup pitted ripe olives, halved

DRESSING:
1 cup red wine vinegar
1/2 cup sugar
2 tablespoons dried oregano
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon pepper
1-1/2 cups olive oil

Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain; rinse with cold water. In several large bowls, combine pasta, green peppers, tomatoes, onions, beans, salami, pepperoni, cheese and olives.

Place vinegar, sugar, oregano, salt and pepper in a blender. While processing, gradually add oil in a steady stream. Pour over pasta salad; toss to coat. Refrigerate, covered, 4 hours or overnight. Yield: 50 (3/4-cup) servings.



No comments:

Post a Comment