Saturday, December 27, 2014

#1,407: Tangy Green Bean Salad with Walnuts

Quick poll here....do you cut the ends of heri cot verts??  I typically do not (I like that I don't have to), but I hate the little stringy ends when I eat it.  I think I need to start cutting them off!  

Regardless of how you prep your beans, this was a really simple side dish that I was able to throw together fairly quickly.  No one else in my family would eat this with me of course, but I enjoyed this.  The original recipe says it tastes best if you let the flavors meld, but I personally preferred this fresh and still warm.  

1 pound of fresh green beans, ends snipped and cut in half or thirds
1/4 – 1/2 cup red onion, finely chopped
1 cup crispy walnuts, chopped

Dressing
2 tbsp. macadamia nut oil 2 tbsp. olive oil
4 tbsp. brown mustard or dijon mustard
4 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
1/4 tsp. onion powder
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
1/4 tsp. sea salt
1/4 tsp. fresh ground black pepper

Wash and snip your green beans. Cut them into halves or thirds, depending on the size of the bean. Steam your green beans until tender. Cook time will vary, but should be anywhere from 5-10 minutes. You want them to be tender, but not mushy.  While they are steaming, prepare an ice bath in a separate bowl.

Remove the green beans from the heat and place in the ice bath to stop them from cooking further. 4. In a large bowl, whisk together the dressing ingredients. Add your chopped red onion and stir.

Remove the green beans from the water bath and drain. Add the cooked green beans to the bowl with the dressing and toss until they are coated in the dressing. If you are serving right away, you can sprinkle the chopped walnuts in at this time.  If you are serving at a later time, don’t add the walnuts until you’re closer to serving.

This salad tastes best after it has had time for the flavors to develop. I also find that it tastes best at room temperature, rather than right out of the fridge.


No comments:

Post a Comment