Saturday, January 31, 2015

#1,451: Hearty Italian Sandwiches


I'm kind of surprised that this recipe got mixed reviews from my family...and I'm more surprised by who liked it and who didn't!  I expected my husband to balk at these because of the addition of the peppers (I only used one and I diced it fine, so it was basically mush) and I figured Matthew (age 2) wouldn't eat this at all.  I also thought Allison (age 7) would love this.  However, Allison did NOT enjoy these, and Brian and Matthew did!  Who knew!  I can't predict with this group.  I tried hard not to eat these but kept sneaking bites off the kids plates (the ones who didn't like it didn't care!).  I thought it was great and we will be eating these again next month since we had leftovers.  (Sorry kids who didn't enjoy it!)

This is a recipe you might want to have cooking in the crockpot when you are home!  It does not say to add water to this, but it was really drying out, so I added about 3/4 of a cup or so to mine about 2 hours in.


1-1/2 pounds lean ground beef (I used ground turkey)
1-1/2 pounds Mild Italian Sausage Links (casings removed)
2 large onions, sliced
2 large green peppers, sliced (I omitted)
2 large sweet red peppers, sliced (I diced)
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
I also added some minced garlic and a few shakes of Italian seasoning
8 sandwich rolls, split
Shredded Monterrey Jack cheese, optional (I used mozzarella)


In a Dutch oven, cook beef and sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Place a third of the onions and peppers in a 5-qt. slow cooker; top with half of the meat mixture. Repeat layers; top with remaining vegetables. Sprinkle with salt, pepper and pepper flakes.

Cover and cook on low for 6 hours or until vegetables are tender. With a slotted spoon, serve about 1 cup of meat and vegetables on each roll. Top with cheese if desired. I put mine open faced in the oven and toasted the bread and let them cheese melt!  Yum.  

No comments:

Post a Comment